present in nearly all foods.
It's essential to life.
It enhances the flavor and texture of many
It can be difficult to sort out all the
facts about it.
Answers about Salt vs. Sodium
Q: How do salt and
Table salt is 40% sodium. The other 60% is
chloride. Salt (sodium chloride) is the
major contributor of sodium in our diets.
Should I try to eliminate foods with sodium
from my diet?
No. Sodium is an essential nutrient. The
body needs a small amount of sodium. Health
experts suggest choosing a diet moderate in
salt and sodium.
What is a
Diet Moderate in Sodium?
- Food labels state that
the "daily value" for sodium is less than
2,400 milligrams per day.
- Health experts realize
that many people consume more than 2,400
milligrams of sodium per day. Less than
the 2,400 milligram sodium goal may be
unnecessarily low for many healthy people.
- Other individuals on
medically prescribed diets might need to
consume less than 2,400 milligrams of
sodium per day.
Getting a Read on High Blood Pressure
- Many factors are associated
with high blood pressure (hypertension)
including family history, body weight, one's
age and, for some people, sodium intake.
- High blood pressure is one
factor that increases the chance of heart
disease and strokes, but the exact causes of
high blood pressure and how to prevent it are
not fully understood.
Who is at Risk for Hypertension?
||Certain Ethnic Groups
One of the
most effective ways to manage hypertension
is to keep your body weight within a
healthful range. Keep physically active and
watch your total calorie intake. Regular
physical activity - even a moderate amount -
can aid in weight loss and help reduce high
blood pressure in some people
older people have hypertension, but the
chances of having high blood pressure
increase as we grow older.
genetic factors, African Americans tend to
have higher rates of hypertension.
Scientists are currently researching these
genetic factors so that more prevention and
treatment measures can be developed.
Shape Up Foods - with Flavor
- Give your foods some
Mexican zing with chili powder, cilantro,
cumin and garlic.
- Dishes get an Asian accent
with garlic, ginger and red (cayenne) pepper.
- Enjoy foods Italian-style
with basil, garlic, parsley and oregano.
Learn About Label Terms for Sodium
Here's what food product
labels tell you about sodium:
||Less than 5 milligrams
sodium per serving
||140 milligrams or less
sodium per serving
||At least 25% less sodium
per serving when compared to a similar food
|No Salt Added
||No salt is added during
processing (when this product is normally
processed with salt). The product may not be
a sodium free food, so check Nutrition Facts
cook Chinese food?
Get ChineseFoodDIY's top rated cookbook
"Real & Healthy
"500+ Healthy Chinese Recipes in 5 minutes"
cookbook "Real & Healthy Chinese Cooking" -
500+ low carb and low fat recipes with 170+ colorful pictures.
Based on a master chef's 40 years of cooking practice and 4 years of writing
and research, it has helped over 12,800 people worldwide improve
their health. All the secret copy cat recipes in ONE cookbook.
Click here to read the whole story that reveals how
ANYONE can cook delicious Chinese food and improve their health... in less than 20
Food and Health